Alert Emergency Alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Read More

Frequently Asked Questions

Property Tax Questions

How much do I owe for delinquent taxes?
You must provide a ten-digit parcel number in order to receive tax information. Call our 24-hour automated tax line, (877) 805-2856 for tax amounts, or click here for the Genesee County Property Tax Information System.

What should I do if I didn't receive a tax bill?
You can request a tax printout for your delinquent taxes from our office, $1.00 fee, or contact your local unit for current tax bills.

I did not receive a tax bill - can you waive penalty and interest? 
No. The Treasurer cannot waive penalties and interest. The State holds the taxpayer responsible to know that taxes are paid on time.

When are property taxes sent out?
Tax bills are sent out by the local units (cities, townships and villages). Most cities and townships bill twice a year - July and December.  The City of Flint has three city installments and one County portion.

When are taxes due?
Summer taxes are usually due by September. Winter taxes are due by February 28. All taxes become delinquent to the County Treasurer on March 1 with additional penalties and interest, computed with a 4% penalty, and 1% interest per month for the first year.  Taxes that are delinquent more than a year will have a substantially higher interest rate (1.5% instead of 1%).  In addition, a $175.00 forfeiture fee will be added along with additional administrative fees.

What is my parcel number? 
You can get your number from a tax bill or call your local unit.

Where is my parcel located?
If you provide a parcel number we can tell you which city or township you are in. If you do not have the number, check your tax bill. Your local unit will be listed on the bill. 
Your local unit is the city, village, or township that your property is located in. There are 33 local units in Genesee County.

Can I make payments on my delinquent taxes?

Can taxes be paid with a personal check? 
Yes, March - December of the year the taxes become delinquent.  They would then require a cashier's check, money order, or cash. Please make checks payable to GENESEE COUNTY TREASURER.

Where do I send my delinquent tax payment? 
GENESEE COUNTY TREASURER, 1101 Beach Street, Flint MI 48502-1475.

What are your office hours?
Our cash office is open (for payments and deed certification):
Monday -  Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 

The administrative office is open:
Monday, Tuesday, Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

How many months delinquent can I be with my taxes before foreclosure? 
Delinquent taxpayers in the State of Michigan have 25 months to pay their taxes.  If not paid, the property is foreclosed and may be sold at auction.  Property goes delinquent on March 1st.  The following March 1st it is forfeited to the County Treasurer.  The next March 31st, if property remains unredeemed, it is foreclosed and becomes the property of the County Treasurer..

When are property auctions held? 
Property may be sold at an auction to be held in September and October or November of the year foreclosed.  The September auction will have a minimum bid that includes all delinquent taxes, penalties and interest.  If not sold, an auction will be held in October or November at which there is no minimum bid.  Quit claim deeds will be given to successful bidders.

Who owns a particular property? 
Please refer to the local unit in which the property is located.

Can you provide me with amount paid on taxes so I can figure my income taxes?
We ask that you request this information by mail. You will be billed for this service.

What is the assessed value of my home? 
Contact the assessor of your local unit.

Do you accept credit cards? 
YES! Payments can be made by Debit/Credit Cards for an additional fee.  Click Here!

Where do I make an address change? 
At your local unit.


Which documents require certification or transfer tax from the Treasurer? 
Most instruments transferring title in real estate are serviced by the County Treasurer for revenue stamps of certification of property taxes paid prior to recording the instruments at the the County Register of Deeds.

Type of Deed Transfer Tax Stamp Certification
Warranty Yes Yes  
Quit Claim Yes No  
Land Contract No Yes  
Release of Mortgage No No  
Assignment of Land Contract No Yes  
Tax Deeds No No  
Deed Pursuant to Land Contract Yes Yes

Warranty deeds and land contracts with the City of Flint must be certified by the City.

What is the charge for tax certification?
There is a $5.00 charge for this service. City of Flint charges an additional $3.00 to certify the legal description on parcels within the City of Flint.

What is the charge for State revenue and County transfer tax?
The State revenue tax is $7.50 per thousand dollars, based on the sum listed on the instrument transferring title. The County transfer tax is $1.10 per thousand.

All warranty deeds and quit claim deeds prior to January 1, 1995 are exempt from the State revenue tax.

Dog Licenses 

 When should my dog be licensed?
After they receive their first rabies vaccination the license should be purchased within that month, or the month after, to avoid a late fee.
What paperwork do I need?
Proof of the current rabies vaccination is needed, as well as, proof if your pet has been altered (spayed or neutered).
I did not receive my renewal form, what do I do?
Providing proof of the rabies shot, and proof if the pet is spayed/neutered, is all that is needed to purchase a license.  If a license was purchased the previous year, as a courtesy, renewal forms are mailed out.  However, they are not a requirement to  purchase a license.  Failure to receive the renewal form does not waive the  penalty fee should it go past the due date.
When are licenses due?
Licenses are due based on the month the rabies vaccination was given.  They should be purchased the month before, the month of, and the month after, the vaccination.  For example:  the rabies vaccination expiration is: 6-13-2016, the license should be purchased in May, June and July.  If the license is purchased in August or after, it would be considered delinquent.
Is there a 3 year license available?
Yes, three year licenses are available for those who are at the START of a three year vaccination cycle.
Do I have to purchase a three year license?
No, it is not required.  A one year license can be purchased every year.
Where are the licenses available?
Licenses are always available at the Genesee County Animal Shelter, 810-732-1660, either in person or by mail.
Regular priced licenses can be purchased at the Genesee County Treasurers Office, either in person, or by mail.  In addition to the Animal Shelter and the Treasurer's Office, various municipalities and veterinary offices will carry them until August 30th.  But please call ahead to see if they are available at these locations.  Delinquent licenses are only available at Animal Control.
My license is late.  Where do I go now?
Delinquent licenses are only available at the Genesee County Animal Shelter, 810-732-1660.  Please call ahead for their hours and location.
We found a dog with a license - what should we do?
Contact our office at 810-257-3054 and provide license number.  We will give you the owners name and telephone number.
How do I obtain a replaceemnt tag for a lost dog license?
Contact our office at 810-257-3054 and ask that a form be sent to you or print the attached form and mail it to the Genesee County Treasurer.  There is no charge for a replacement tag.  Replacement Tag Form