Senior Nutrition Program
In 1973, GCCARD piloted its first nutrition program by providing noon meals at three congregate sites. Now thirty-eight years later, we provide noon meals at twenty-two Congregate sites along with a Home Delivered Meal Program. Our program funding is through the Older American Act by our local Valley Area Agency on Aging. September 30, 2010, marked the ending of another successful year of GCCARD's Senior Nutrition Program.
- Congregate Program
- This program provides older Americans with hot, nutritious meals and other nutritional services, including nutrition education and nutrition outreach in a group setting. The Congregate program also reduces the isolation of seniors and provides a link to other social and rehabilitative services. We provide these services to our seniors Monday through Friday year round. This year we served over one hundred two thousand meals at 22 congregate sites, exceeding our contractual numbers.
- Home Delivered Meal Program
- The Home Delivered Meal Program (Meals on Wheels) provides a hot and cold nutritional meal and other nutrition services to seniors who are homebound. The demand for this program continues to grow as life expectancy increases and hospitals discharge patients earlier with an emphasis on in-home recovery and care. During this recovery time at home, seniors might not be able to prepare meals for themselves. This is where Meals on Wheels steps in. Once a day Monday through Friday two meals are delivered to help people maintain themselves in their own homes, and often keep families together when that would not otherwise be possible. Meals are delivered five days per week, rain or shine. This year we served approximately three hundred six thousand meals including seven-day meals to many of Genesee County seniors.
- Kosher Meal Program
- The Jewish Family and Community Services provides Kosher congregate and home-delivered meals prepared at the Congregation Beth Israel. Kosher congregate meals are served at Temple Beth EL, 5150 Calkins Rd., Flint, MI.
- Liquid Nutrition Supplement Program
- This marks the ninth year that we have delivered liquid supplement to nutritionally at risk seniors to improve their health status. To set up this program, we have developed a special screening tool to identify seniors who are nutritionally at risk. The at-risk seniors receive Ensure purchased through Ross Products Division. Our Nutrition Program is always looking for innovative ideas for our program in order to aid seniors.
Any questions concerning this website contact: email@example.com