Alert Emergency Alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Read More

Genesee County Clerk's Office

Marriage Application and Ceremony
900 South Saginaw Street
Flint, Michigan 48502
(810) 257-3225

Office Hours: 
Monday - Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Holiday/Furlough Day Closures
NOTE:  No cell phones or weapons allowed in our building.
All visitors must pass through a metal detector.

Click here for
Special Process for Marriage Application during the COVID-19 building Closures

Marriage Ceremony

The marriage ceremony must take place within 33 days from the date of application or the license becomes void.   It is the responsibility of the applicants to arrange for a date and location of their marriage ceremony.  If it is the intent parties to be married by a judge or magistrate, a contact list (including court address and phone information) may be obtained in our office at the time of application or at the following link: Judge List

No marriage ceremony can be performed until after the license is picked up from our office.
No marriage ceremony can be performed after the expiration date of a marriage license. 

Both applicants are required to have their own witness.  Witnesses must be a minimum of 18 years of age.  ALL PARTIES must sign the marriage license at the time of the ceremony.

 Michigan Compiled Law 551.7, as listed below, applies to individuals who perform marriage ceremonies:

        (1) Marriages may be solemnized by any of the following:

  • (a) A judge of the district court, anywhere in this state.
  • (b) A district court magistrate, anywhere in this state.
  • (c) A municipal judge, in the city in which the judge is serving or in a township over which a municipal court has jurisdiction under section 9928 of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.9928.
  • (d) A judge of probate, anywhere in this state.
  • (e) A judge of a federal court.
  • (f) A mayor of a city, anywhere in a county in which that city is located.
  • (g) A county clerk (NOTE:  The Genesee County Clerk does not perform ceremonies.)
  • (h) In counties having more than 1,500,000 in population, by a county clerk employee (NOTE:  This provision does not apply in Genesee County.)
  • (i) A minister of the gospel or cleric or religious practitioner, anywhere in this state, if the minister or cleric or religious practitioner is ordained or authorized to solemnize marriages according to the usages of the denomination.
  • (j) A minister of the gospel or cleric or religious practitioner, anywhere in this state, if the minister or cleric or religious practitioner is not a resident of this state but is authorized to solemnize marriages under the laws of the state in which the minister or cleric or religious practitioner resides.

    (2) A person authorized by this act to solemnize a marriage shall keep proper records and return licenses and certificates as required.

 Michigan State law does not require individuals who solemnize marriages to be registered with the county or the state. 


Filing the Marriage License

After the ceremony occurs, it is the legal responsibility of the officiate (the person who performs the ceremony) to file the marriage license with our office.  The license is NOT filed by the applicants.  Instructions and an envelope for mailing the license will be provided to the applicant when they pick up the license.  It is important that the instructions and envelope provided be given to the officiate for their use because they have a legal obligation to file the license.  Use of our pre-printed envelope will speed the processing of the license when it is received in our office for filing. 


Obtaining Certified Copies of a Marriage License

A certified copy of a marriage license is necessary for many purposes, including changing names, medical insurance, property, benefits, etc.  Following the ceremony, allow a minimum of two weeks before requesting copies of a newly filed marriage license.  This gives the officiate time to properly file the license and for our office to get it entered into the database system.  Information on how to obtain a certified copy of a marriage license can be found by visiting this link: 

Obtain Vital Record


Out of State Residents

If both applicants live outside of the State of Michigan, they are considered out-of-state residents.  All above provisions for application apply to out-of-state residents; additionally, the marriage ceremony must take place in Genesee County.  Out-of-state residents must present valid identification for both applicants (a photocopy is acceptable for an applicant who is not present at the time of application).  The current address for each applicant must be listed on the IDs presented.  If one party lives outside of Michigan and one lives inside of Michigan, the Michigan resident applies in the county where they live.



Pursuant to MCL 551.103 "Every person who becomes 16 years of age but is less than 18 years of age shall be capable of contracting marriage with the written consent of 1 of the parents of the person or the person's legal guardian."  In addition to all of the requirements listed above, the minor must be present at the time of application, the parent or legal guardian must be present at the time of application, both the minor and their parent/guardian must present a valid driver's license or photo identification card, and must sign a consent form.  Legal guardian's must also present a certified copy of the guardianship order. 

Applying to get Married - Special Rules above Apply during building shut-down

Michigan State Law dictates that in order to get married, application must be made in advance.  For Michigan residents, application must be made in the county where the applicant lives and the ceremony can occur anywhere within the State of Michigan.  If both applicants are out-of-state residents, application must be made in the county where the ceremony takes place.  The laws of other states may differ from those in Michigan.
The marriage application fee is $20.00 which is due and payable at the time of application.  If both applicants are out-of-state residents, additional $10.00 fee is charged. Payment methods accepted:  cash, money order, business check or credit/debit.  If using credit/debit, an additional service fee is charged, and the cardholder must be present with ID.  Personal check is accepted if:  the name and address imprinted on the check matches the name and address of the customer.  The customer must sign a personal check in our presence and provide valid photo ID. (Out of state personal checks are not accepted.)

Application must be made in person; however, only one applicant need be present to apply.  The applicant must be a Genesee County resident (out-of-state residents - see requirements below).  Application forms are available at our office or by downloading the form.  (Michigan state law does allow for marriage by minor children ages 16 to 17 - See additional information below) 

At the time of application, the applicant MUST present to our office:

  • Certified birth certificates for both applicants (specific requirements on Application Form)
  • Valid state issued photo identification card or drivers license.  The ID presented must show the applicant's current address.
  • Social security number of both applicants

Pursuant to Michigan Law, there is a three-day waiting period from the date of application before a marriage license can be issued.  Therefore, application MUST be made more than three days prior to the date of the marriage ceremony.  Following application, the applicant(s) will be instructed to return to our office after 3 or more days have passed in order to pick up the marriage license.