Genesee County Clerk's Office-Legal Division

900 South Saginaw Street
Flint, MI  48502
(810) 257-3220
Fax (810) 424-4455
NOTE:  No weapons allowed in the building.  All visitors must pass through a metal detector.
It is recommended to call before coming to view court files at 810-257-2635. 
The file may be located off site and will need to be ordered for delivery.  This can take up to 3 days.

Effective Tuesday, July 6, 2021 new case filings can ONLY be made in person or by mail at the
Clerk's office - Legal Division,
900 S. Saginaw St.  Flint, MI 48502
Legal Division Office Hours PPO Hours
 Monday-Friday  Monday through Friday
 8:00 am - 4:00 pm  8:00 am - 3:00 pm
 (click here for Holidays)  
What We Do
Genesee County Clerk, Legal Division handles the filing of new civil, domestic and criminal cases and maintains official records of all cases that come before the Genesee County 7th Circuit Court.  The Clerk's office maintains a record of all proceedings in a computerized court database for cases filed 1979 to the present, collects fees, receives and holds monies to be disbursed on order of the court for cases awaiting settlement.  Most court files are public records, and are made available for public inspection in the Legal Division of the Clerk's Office.

Civil Case
The Clerk's office processes appeal cases from other Trial Courts or administrative agencies and civil damage suits which include personal injury, auto negligence, medical malpractice, contracts and other claims in excess of $25,000.

Criminal Cases
Felony criminal cases bound over from District Court.

Domestic or Family Cases
Filings for cases involving domestic relations including divorces, paternity, family support, name changes and general family matters.
Due to the commitment of the Family Court to the principle of "One Family, One Judge" it is particularly important to indicate on any new domestic filing whether or not there has been a previous case involving the family, or previous assignment to a specific Judge. A family is identified in Genesee County Circuit Court using the male party as the case identity.

Personal Protection Orders
Personal protection orders (PPO) are filed in the County Clerk's office.  Forms for filing a PPO and assistance in the completion of the forms can be obtained from the Clerk's office.  Complete information can be found on the PPO Page.

This site does not provide legal advice.  The laws of Michigan do not allow employees of the court, clerk's office or a judge to give you legal advice.  You may consult with an attorney concerning legal issues, but you do not need an attorney to represent you.
All adult citizens have the constitutional right to represent themselves in court.  If you represent yourself, you are called a "pro se", "pro per" or "self-represented" litigant and you are acting as your own attorney.  To represent yourself in a court case, you need to understand some legal terms and the court procedures and filing requirements.