New structure effective December 1, 2012.
You must be a resident of Genesee County to purchase a dog license in Genesee County.
- All dogs are required by state law to be licensed by the age of four (4) months. The owner then has thirty (30) days to provide proof of age, date of current rabies shot, and proof of spaying/neutering (if applicable) to a licensing office.
- License renewal occurs the month the rabies vaccination is due. Dog owners needing to renew their dog's license will receive a pre-printed application by mail thirty days before the next rabies vaccine expiration month. Pre-printed applications are NOT required to purchase a license. Failure to receive renewal notice does not waive delinquent fee
- Depending on the rabies expiration date, there may be a choice of one or three year licenses. Three year licenses may only be purchased for dogs that are at the beginning of their three year rabies vaccination. All others must purchase a one year license until the start of a new 3 year vaccination cycle.
- We ask all selling agents to return their licenses to the Treasurer's Office the first of September, so we can "close" out that license year in preparation for the upcoming license year. Therefore, anyone with a September, October or November rabies expiration date will be required to purchase a license (by mail or in person) thru the Treasurer's Office, or at Animal Control on Pasadena Avenue.
- Mail or bring form to Genesee County Treasurer's Office, Animal Control Department or call ahead to see if these local municipalities and veterinarian offices have them available. Bring check made payable to Genesee County Treasurer along the current rabies certificate.
- Fee structure (as of 12/1/2012):
|License Type||1 year||3 year|
|Delinquent fee (both types)||$50||$100|
Rabies expires 6/23/2016
A one year license must be purchased every year. A 2014 license would be effective June 2014 until June 2015. In May, June or July of 2015 a 2015 license should be purchased. which would be effective June 2015 until June 2016, or whenever a new vaccination is given, which would determine when the license for 2016 should be purchased. If a three year vaccination is administered, the owner has the choice between a one year or three year license.
Rabies expires 2/14/2015
A new vaccination is required. Once the pet receives a new rabies vaccination, the license can be purchased by providing proof of that vaccination. A license will not be sold when the rabies shout is expiring in the year of the license that is being purchased.
- Mail or bring completed copy of Replacement Tag Form to the Genesee County Treasurer's Office and we will replace these free of charge.