Alert Emergency Alert

Public Health Emergency Declaration

Read More

Questions and Answers

What are the hours of the Register of Deeds Office?

Register of Deeds hours are:

Monday, Tuesday, and Friday
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Wednesday & Thursday
8:00 AM - NOON
(except holidays)

Closed on the following holidays and furlough days:

Thanksgiving Day   November 27, 2014
Friday after Thanksgiving   November 28, 2014
Day before Christmas   December 24, 2014
Christmas Day   December 25, 2014
Day before New Year’s Day         December 31, 2014
New Year’s Day   January 1, 2015
Furlough Day   January 16, 2015
Martin Luther King Day   January 19, 2015
Lincoln's Birthday   February 12, 2015
Presidents' Day   February 16, 2015
Good Friday   April 3, 2015
Furlough Day   May 22, 2015
Memorial Day   May 25, 2015
Independence Day (Observed Friday)   July 3, 2015
Furlough Day   July 6, 2015
Furlough Day   September 4, 2015
Labor Day   September 7, 2015
Veterans' Day   November 11, 2015
Thanksgiving Day   November 26, 2015
Friday after Thanksgiving   November 27, 2015
Day before Christmas   December 24, 2015
Christmas Day   December 25, 2015
Day before New Year’s Day   December 31, 2015
New Year’s Day   January 1, 2016


Where are you located?
Downtown Flint, in the Genesee County Administration Building
        1101 Beach Street
        View Directions and Map


What are the recording fees?

Fees are charged to record any deed, mortgage, lis pendens, certified court order, or other instrument in the Register’s office.  View Fees

What is the transfer tax?

Tax is based on the amount of consideration paid for the interest being transferred. Click here for further Transfer Tax Information.

How can I get a copy of a document?

Documents are computerized, so you can get copies ONLINE, NOT IN-LINE by searching our online index for documents recorded since 1994, with some records available from 1989 through 1993.

You need a name to search any land record information, along with an approximate transaction year

Records may be searched online using names, parcel numbers (property tax identification number), or the street address, if these were provided on the instrument. Searches may be done in our office back to the 1800's.

Copies may also be obtained in person by visiting our office in downtown Flint or by mail via a written request containing the recording information of the desired copies and the appropriate fee(s). View Fees

How do I search for documents?

Search Online - Click to access online index.

Search In Person - Public computer terminals in the Register of Deeds can be used free of charge to view indexes.

How do I find out who owns certain property?

If you do not know the property owner's name, you may contact the assessor for the city, or township in which the property is located. These offices will provide you with the name(s) that appear on the tax roll which may or may not be the owner(s). With these names, you can search our office in person or online for any recorded information*.

*We cannot verify property ownership. We can help you find the last document on record.

Why record instruments?

Documents are recorded in the county's official records to publicly declare their existence and to protect yourself from future claims on the title. Anyone can research these records to identify property, ownership and liens placed against the property. Our documents are public record.

How do I contact other Register of Deeds Offices in Michigan?

View a list of other offices - then click on "MARD DIRECTORY"

Can I get genealogy information?

Yes, you can. You need the approximate year of transaction, party name(s), and be prepared for heavy lifting as some of the old records are in heavy books. You may want to bring someone to assist you. The County Clerk also has genealogy information.

Is this where I come to redeem my property?

You can make arrangements through the involved companies, financial institutions or their legal counsel, who will figure the redemption amount and complete the redemption process. Or, you may figure the redemption amount yourself and the Register of Deeds office will act as a holding agent. The Register of Deeds office will not figure nor be responsible for accuracy of the redemption amount.

Do you handle property auctions through a tax sale?

No. Please see the Genesee County Treasurer site.

Can you prepare my document or give me the forms to use?

No. The Register of Deeds staff does not prepare any legal document(s), nor can they give legal advice. Forms may be obtained from an office supply company. If you need assistance, please contact an attorney.

Quit Claim Deed forms are available on our website.

Where can I find a notary?

Financial institutions, funeral homes, title companies, realtors, automobile dealerships, and many other businesses have notaries on staff. You will also find listings in the yellow pages of your telephone book, or check online. Some county offices have notaries who, if available, will notarize documents.

When an instrument is recorded that legally removes the name of an owner (like a death certificate), why don't you simply issue a new document showing the current owners?

Register of Deeds staff do not prepare documents. State law mandates that if a document meets state requirements, then the Register of Deeds must accept and record that document. The Register of Deeds is just a recording office.

I've paid off my mortgage. How can I get a copy of my deed?

You should get your deed when you first purchase the property. If you do not have your deed, then you can get a certified copy of it at the Register of Deeds office; and a certified copy is just as good as the original.

When you pay off a mortgage, you should receive a Discharge or Release  of Mortgage.

How do I add someone to my deed?

You can use a Quit Claim Deed form. The Quit Claim Deed needs to be legible, completed in black ink or typed, signed and notarized. It is a legal document, so we recommend contacting an attorney or someone who is well versed in real estate matters to provide help in preparing the deed. When completed, signed and notarized, it can be mailed in or brought in for recording. The recording fee will be $14.00 for the first page and $3.00 for additional pages, if any.

Who is the owner of (street address and city)? Or how do I find out if there are any liens on my property?

All searches are done either in person by coming to the Register of Deeds or by searching the online index for documents recorded since 1994, with some records available from 1989-1993. You can get a taxpayer name and address for free by calling the local Assessor's Office in that City or Township.

What are transfer taxes for?

Please call 810-257-3054 for details.

How do I get a legal description for property?

Call the local Assessor's Office in that City or Township.

How can I get the property taxes for an address?

Call the local Assessor's Office in that City or Township, or call the Genesee County Treasurer's Office at 810-257-3054.

Does marital status have to be shown on documents?

Yes. The marital status of males must be shown on deeds and mortgages for grantors.

Does the document need to be witnessed and notarized?

Documents executed in the state of Michigan prior to March 4, 2002, must have the signatures and printed names of two witnesses. The document must be notarized, with the notary acknowledgment stating the names of the persons they witnessed signing the document, and showing the notary's printed name, county of commission and expiration date. After March 4, 2002, documents do not have to be witnessed, only notarized. See Recording Requirements

What documents have to be tax certified?

Warranty deeds, any deeds which include warrant or covenant clause, and land contracts must be tax certified at the Genesee County Treasurer's Office to show the property taxes are up-to-date.  The County fee for tax certification is $1.00.

Will you record a copy of a death certificate?

Death certificates submitted for recording must be certified copies (with a raised or embossed seal).