Common Questions

How big is Genesee County?
Genesee County covers an area of 655 Square Miles.  5 villages, 11 cities, and 17 townships are located within the county.  According to the 2010 Census, Genesee County has a population of 425,790 people.

How many miles of roadway are there in Genesee County?
There are approximately 2,540 total roadway miles in Genesee County. This number includes about 70 miles of interstate roads.  In the urban area, there are  about 1,746  miles of roadway,  while in the rural area there are about  794 miles of roadway.  

Where can I find Census information for the county?
This website contains Census Profiles for the county and for every village, city, and township within the county.  We also have profiles for other areas in Michigan.

Can you tell me how much traffic is on my street each day? 
Yes, we can. GCMPC and our partner agencies maintain a Traffic Count Website and Database that is updated almost daily as new traffic counts are collected.  GCMPC also produces updated traffic flow  maps every two years.  These maps contain Average Daily Traffic (ADT) counts for 24  hour periods.  Currently, the maps are available at our office at no charge.  You can also download the most current traffic flow map from our website.  

What maps are available at the GCMPC office?   How much do they cost?
GCMPC has a  variety of maps  available at the GCMPC office.  Please visit the Maps portion of this website for detailed information.

What are the income guidelines for the HOME Down Payment Assistance and American Dream Down payment Initiative Programs?
Please visit the Community Development portion of our website to view the income guidelines for the HOME down payment assistance Program.

How does my road get fixed?
Make sure your local jurisdiction knows about the road problem, because it may qualify for federal funding.  Every two years, the GCMPC puts out a call for transportation projects,  and local jurisdictions send in their  project applications. Projects are prioritized and are placed in the TIP, or Transportation Improvement Program.  This program implements the projects and allows the road-fixing process to proceed. 

What are the qualification guidelines for the Home Improvement Program?
Please visit the Home Improvement Program portion of our website to view the qualification guidelines for the Home Improvement Program.

How do I get a traffic signal installed at an intersection in my neighborhood?
If you think a traffic signal is necessary, the first step is to contact your local municipality. The local authority can determine who has jurisdiction of the intersection you are concerned about.  

How do inter-local loans work?
Inter-local loans are designed to allow local units of government to coordinate to borrow or lend their Community Development Block Grant funding.  The loans allow local units to undertake larger sized projects by allowing them to borrow money from other CDBG recipients in addition to the funding they would normally receive.  These loans are paid back when the borrower receives their next allocation of funds.  Projects including the construction of a senior activity center, large road projects, and the purchase of fire equipment are some examples in which loans made projects possible.

I need help getting to work. Can GCMPC help?
The Mass Transportation Authority, or MTA, provides public transportation services. For details on routes and schedules, please call (810) 767-0100.  If you would like information on Rideshare’s free  carpool or vanpool matching services, please call  toll free  1-877-936-POOL or (810) 233-RIDE or visit the Rideshare portion of our website.

What communities are eligible for CDBG funds?
Most local units of government within Genesee County participate in the Community Development Block Grant program. Exceptions to this include the Cities of Flint, Flushing, Davison and Clio, who participate in other programs making them ineligible for Genesee County CDBG funds.

What projects are eligible under CDBG?
See the attached list of eligible and ineligible projects.   

What year will my community receive CDBG funds?
CDBG funding is allocated to each local unit once every three years.  The local units of government have been divided into three groups, only one of which will receive funding per year.  The attached map shows which year each of the local units will receive funding.

Since my local unit of government only receives funding every three years, do we have three years to spend the funds?
HUD regulations states  “CDBG funding will be made during a time no longer than the next two program years following the effective date of the grant agreement”.

When can I change, add or delete a public service project?
Public service applications will be accepted for FY 2007.  These projects will be continued until that three year funding allocation cycle in been completed in FY 2010.  Changes, additions, or deletions of projects will not occur again until FY 2011.

An Equal Opportunity Organization
Equal Housing Opportunity
Please send questions or comments concerning GCMPC programs to
Please send technical questions concerning the website to