icon twitter


Genesee County Clerk's Office
900 S. Saginaw St.
Flint, Michigan 48502
(810) 257-3225


Applying for a Marriage License

The cost to apply for a marriage license is $20.00 which is due and payable at the time of application.  Out of state residents must pay an additional $10 fee.  Our office accepts payment in the form of CASH or CHECK only.  If presenting a personal check, the check must be drawn on a Genesee County bank, the person signing the check must be present and must provide valid photo ID.  The name and address imprinted on the check must match the ID.

The bride and groom must be a minimum of 18 years of age to apply for a marriage license.  (Age 16 to 18 - See additional information below)  Only one party (bride or groom) need be present to apply.  However, unless both the bride and groom are out-of-state residents, the applicant must be a resident of Genesee County.  Applications must be made in person at our office.  Application forms are available at our office or by downloading the form.

When applying, the applicant MUST present to our office certified birth certificates for both the bride and the groom.  The applicant MUST present a valid state issued photo identification card or drivers license at the time of application.  The ID presented must show the applicant's current address.  Out-of-state residents must present valid identification for both the bride and the groom (a photocopy is acceptable for a bride or groom who is not present at the time of application).  The applicant MUST be able to provide our office with the social security number of both the bride and the groom.

Pursuant to Michigan Law, there is a three-day waiting period required from the date of application until the marriage license can be issued.  Therefore application MUST be made more than three days prior to the date of the marriage ceremony.  The marriage must take place within 33 days from the date of application or the license becomes void.  The bride or groom will be required to come back to our office to pick up the marriage license after the three days has passed.

Marriage Ceremony

It is the responsibility of the bride and groom to arrange for a date and location of their marriage ceremony.  If it is the intent of the bride and groom to be married by a judge or magistrate, a contact list (including court address and contact information) may be obtained in our office at the time of application or at the following link:  Judge List

No marriage ceremony can be performed without a marriage license.
No marriage ceremony can be performed after the expiration date of a marriage license. 

Both the bride and the groom are required to have their own witness.  Witnesses must be a minimum of 18 years of age.  ALL PARTIES must sign the marriage license at the time of the ceremony.

Filing the Marriage License

It is the responsibility of the officiate (the person who performs the ceremony) to file the marriage license with our office.  An envelope for mailing the license will be provided to the applicant when they pick up the license.  It is important that the envelope provided be given to the officiate for their use because it will speed the processing of the license when it is received in our office for filing. 

Obtaining Certified Copies of a Marriage License

Allow a minimum of two weeks following the ceremony before requesting copies of a newly filed marriage license.  Information on how to obtain a certified copy of a marriage license can be found by clicking "Obtain Vital Record" on the left side of this screen.

Out of State Residents

All above provisions apply to out of state residents.  Additionally, the marriage ceremony must take place in Genesee County for out of state residents to apply here for a marriage license.


Pursuant to MCL 551.103 "Every person who becomes 16 years of age but is less than 18 years of age shall be capable of contracting marriage with the written consent of 1 of the parents of the person or the person's legal guardian."  In addition to all of the requirements listed above, the minor must be present at the time of application, the parent or legal guardian must be present at the time of application, both must present a valid driver's license or photo identification card, and must sign the consent.  Legal guardian's must also present a certified copy of the guardianship order.